Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Teal







As we near the end of the Dining/Den project I can't help but begin to plan my next. I'm really thinking about doing a bold color in my living room and I'm inspired by Project Teal. I've also been following another blog called Young House Love and they recently painted their guest room a really beautiful peacock color. I've found a couple of different living rooms that are done in teal and I really like what I've found.

I don't have anything in my house that is currently teal except for maybe a pot that my houseplant lives in. It's a really unique and versatile color and I think that if I can be brave enough to paint my fireplace (that post will be coming shortly), then I should definitely be brave enough to paint my living room teal. I want to have a flow from one room to the next so I think that I'll do teal walls with gray and gold/yellow accents.

We have this painting that was my father-in-laws, it's really the focal point in the dining room so I would like to pull colors from it. At first I thought it was hideous and I really didn't want to hang it up, but since my husband doesn't get to make to many decisions in the decorating process I gave in to his request to hang it up. It's really starting to grow on me, but I was having a difficult time with colors. Should I try to match colors, should I try to use opposite colors? I went for a taupe/gray color for the dining room and den which I think will really compliment the painting. Now I'm just having a difficult time with accessories. Should the window treatments be green, should I try gold or maybe just keep it more neutral? I know that it will all come together...eventually!

2 comments:

Adassah said...

I like the father-in-law picture... but remove the ugly frame :)
Can't wait to see teal!!!

t_threlkeld said...

The frame is pretty bad, but we asked a local framer what the cost might be and it was too high for us. Have to think of a plan b.